System development 3 (EN)2023/2024
- Purpose and learning objectives
IT-supported business systems and processes, user experience, international usability,Knowledge
global project management, test and validation of IT-systems
The student has development-based knowledge and understanding about and can reflect onSkills
applied theories and methodologies regarding
1) IT-supported business systems and processes
2) design processes, user interface design, and user experience
3) international usability testing
4) international project management
5) test and validation in software construction
The student masters skills regarding the application ofCompetences
1) theories and methods about design processes and prototyping in the development of
architecture, functionality, and user interfaces in IT-systems
2) theories and methods about international usability in the development and test of systems
and interfaces in a multinational context
3) theory and methods to model information about business processes and business rules in
the development of IT-supported business systems and -solutions
4) theory about usability and qualitative and quantitative methods in usability testing and
5) theory and methods to manage international teams and projects
6) theory and methods to assure quality in IT systems through test and validation procedures
7) selecting and presenting relevant solution models regarding user experience, test, and
validation to collaboration partners and users
The student is able to handle complex and development-oriented situations regarding
1) planning, testing and analyzing usability and user experience in interface design and
2) the collaboration concerning the integration of a design process in the development of an
3) developing, testing and evaluating user interfaces in a multinational context
4) creating a usability test plan and testing the functionality and user experience of IT-systems
5) managing cross-border development projects and international teams
6) integrating test and validation procedures in the development of IT-systems and –solutions
7) identifying own learning needs and developing own knowledge, skills, and competences in
relation user experience, test and project management
- Type of instruction
Classroom teaching and exercises, assisted by 3 major cross-disciplinary case assignments in which the course content is intensively used.
- Subject/module requirement for
Equipment needed to participate
We assume students to have a laptop that runs Windows 10 (or later) or Mac OS X 10.12 (or later).
Older versions of Windows or Mac OS and Linux might work in most cases – but is not supported with help to install open source tools or handle teaching examples.
We assume students have a HDMI-port or miniDVI/lightning port on their laptop.
In a select few teaching situations (not in 1st semester) examples are used, that does not work well with less than 4 GB RAM Memory – for this 8 GB RAM is recommended.
Students will need office software (Microsoft, Apple, Google, or..).
Students need to be able to produce and read pdf-documents, Word-documents, Powerpoint-presentations and Excel-spreadsheets.
There exist a Microsoft cloud version that becomes available when you set up a free one-drive account.
An Internet browser needs to be available (i.e. Chrome or Safari).
We strongly recommend students to have access to Facebook and a private Facebook-account.
The learning outcomes of the exam are identical with the learning outcomes of the subject(s)/modul(es)Exam in one or more subjectsSubject/module is tested with the following modules
• can communicate core concepts from Business Strategy, Strategic Marketing, Information
Technologies, and Systems development.
• can analyse and present a problem related to Business Strategy, Strategic Marketing,
Information Technologies, and Systems development from an interdisciplinary perspective.
• can collect and analyse user and marketing research
• can complete a project in a team with emphasis on relations.Type of examCombined written and oral examinationThe student will be examined in several subjects (Business Strategy, Strategic Marketing,
Information Technologies, and Systems development). The examination must secure that the
examination covers subjects that are not already dealt with in the report.Individual exam or group examGroup, 2-7 participantsExam languagesEnglishDuration1. Individual presentation based on report: 5 minutes.
2. Individual examination: 20 minutes.
3. Discussion of performance and announcement of grade: 5 minutes.Permitted exam aidsLaptop may be brought during the oral exam for presentation purposes.Type of evaluation7-point grading scaleExaminersExternal censureExam criteriaThe student will receive an individual grade for the overall performance covering the portfolio, presentation and individual examination. The evaluation of the performance is based on the degree to which it complies with the purpose and learning objectives of the subjects, as described in the curriculum.
In the subject System development 3 (EN) you will receive 96 hours of instruction, which corresponds to 128 lessons (1 lesson = 45 min.) and 35% of your total workload for the subject.
The teaching primarily consists of the following activities: classroom teaching, cases, exercises, group work.
The preparation primarily consists of the following activities: reading the curriculum, group work, exercises, project work.
Read about KEAs Study Activity Model
*KEA can deviate from the number of hours if this is justified by special circumstances