Business Strategy I (EN)2023/2024
- Purpose and learning objectives
Business Strategy introduces the students to methods for and tools in creating a common and unifying direction for a company's activities. A direction that integrates an understanding of the company's optimum positioning in relation to the surrounding threats and opportunities, with a focus on which resources and skills the company should attract, maintain and develop.Knowledge
The student has gained development-based knowledge, understanding and an ability to reflect on applied theories and methods regardingSkills
• organisations’ vision and mission statements
• a business strategy for a business entity
• a group strategy, including the correlation between company strategy and group strategy
• key performance indicators derived from the company's business strategy
• business strategy implementation
• strategic use of information technology
The student masters skills related to the use ofCompetences
• theories and methods for the analysis of international competition within an industry and an organisation's strategic position
• theories and methods for the identification of an organisation's resources and core competencies in order to create unique and lasting competitive advantages
• methods for the identification of strategic IT applications
• theories and methods for the implementation of business strategies
The student is able to handle complex and development-oriented issues regarding
• establishment or revision of a business strategy based on strategic analysis of an organisation
• establishment or revision of a business strategy based on the identification and development of strategic resources and core competencies
• formulation of business models, key performance indicators and initiatives for change to underpin the implementation of an organisation's business strategy
The student is able to identify their own learning requirements and develop their own knowledge, skills and competencies in relation to
• strategic use of information technology as well as development and implementation of business strategies
The student is able to participate independently in work with
• the development and implementation of business strategies, including engaging in interdisciplinary collaboration on IT-supported strategies and organisational implementation
- Type of instruction
Lectures and Case projects
- Subject/module requirement for
Academic requirement for participation
Participation in 1. and 2. semester of the KEA BE-IT education
- or alternatively a basic understanding of the subjects; Organisational Theory and Economics (Micro- and Macroeconomics).
The learning outcomes of the exam are identical with the learning outcomes of the subject(s)/modul(es)Exam in one or more subjectsSubject/module is tested with the following modules
• Can communicate core concepts from Business Strategy, Strategic Marketing, Information Technologies, and Systems Development.
• Can analyse and present a problem related to Business Strategy, Strategic Marketing,
Information Technologies, and Systems Development from an interdisciplinary perspective.
• Can collect and analyse user and marketing research.
• Can complete a project in a team with emphasis on relations.Type of examCombined written and oral examinationThe student will be examined in several subjects (Business Strategy, Strategic Marketing,
Information Technologies, Systems development and Innovation & Entrepreneurship).Individual exam or group examGroup, 2-7 participantsExam languagesEnglishDuration1. Individual presentation based on report: 5 minutes.
2. Individual examination: 20 minutes.
3. Discussion of performance and announcement of grade: 5 minutes.Permitted exam aidsLaptop may be brought during the oral exam for presentation purposes.Type of evaluation7-point grading scaleExaminersExternal censureExam criteriaThe student will receive an individual grade for the overall performance covering the report,
presentation and individual examination. The evaluation of the performance is based on the
degree to which it complies with the purpose and learning objectives of the subjects, as described in the curriculum.Re-examination and re-examination due to illnessRe-sit examination on ground of sickness or other acceptable reasons will be held as soon as
possible after the original examination.
If the School assesses that the student has participated to an acceptable degree in the project, this exam will be held as an individual test based on the group project.
In the subject Business Strategy I (EN) you will receive 84 hours of instruction, which corresponds to 112 lessons (1 lesson = 45 min.) and 61% of your total workload for the subject.
The teaching primarily consists of the following activities: classroom teaching, cases, interdisciplinary project-based teaching.
The preparation primarily consists of the following activities: reading the curriculum, group work, project work.
Read about KEAs Study Activity Model
*KEA can deviate from the number of hours if this is justified by special circumstances