Materials (Renovation) (EN)2020/2021
5th semester introduces you to traditional building materials and their use.
By meeting the objectives of this topic you will have gained knowledge and understanding of:
Cultural, architectonic qualities and characteristics of existing buildings materials plus their increasing significance today:
• Knowledge and use of traditional building materials.
• Incorporating traditional and new materials into the project, in harmony to the architecture, structure and materials of existing buildings.
• Perform registration and surveying of the existing materials use in the existing building, site and surroundings.
• Record information of hazardous materials used in the project building and surroundings.
By meeting the objectives of this topic you will be able to:
• Scrutinizing existing materials use in the building and building structure.
• Chose and incorporate the relevant materials necessary in the transformation of the building for the new use.
• Integration of traditional and new building materials and solutions, in the existing building in an architectural, harmonic and sustainability fashion.
• Conducting documented comparative property analysis of traditional and new building materials, and their solutions.
• Use sustainable principles, solutions and materials in the project.
• Different principals of internal insulation.
- Type of instruction and
practical application of learning objectives
The teaching is based on the understanding that learning is most efficient if students are given the opportunity to work with real-life assignments from, or inspired by, companies in relevant industries.
When choosing a project, the possibility of incorporating the academic and professional challenges throughout the semester into the project must be taken into account.
The students are given the opportunity to be involved in the various project phases, from preliminary analysis to realisation of the project. In connection with the project work, the students are faced with real-life problems to be solved based on the given theory, and are to organise the work in such a way that deadlines can be met. The students are furthermore provided with the necessary qualifications to work independently, thereby preparing them to complete the final project as an individual assignment.
This working method allows the students to gain an understanding of how problems are identified and analysed, how solution models are set up, and how the right solution is adopted.
The learning outcomes of the exam are identical with the learning outcomes of the subject(s)/modul(es)Exam in one or more subjectsType of examCombined written and oral examinationIndividual exam or group examIndividual or group, 1-4 max participantsExam languagesEnglishType of evaluation7-point grading scaleExaminersInternal censure
In the subject Materials (Renovation) (EN) you will receive 20 hours of instruction, which corresponds to 27 lessons (1 lesson = 45 min.) and 36% of your total workload for the subject.
The teaching primarily consists of the following activities: internal lecturers, project work, group work.
The preparation primarily consists of the following activities: group work, project work, study group.
Read about KEAs Study Activity Model
*KEA can deviate from the number of hours if this is justified by special circumstances