Structure (Plot and Building) (EN)2019/2020
The 1st semester, the Structure topic will introduce you to basic structural principles for constructing generic and complex building elements.
By meeting the objectives of this topic you will have gained knowledge and understanding of:
• for detailing structural layers and representation of different building elements in 2D drawings.
• basic principles for analyzing and choosing adequate structural solutions.
• generic foundations for 1-2 story residential buildings
• generic cavity brick wall for 1-2 story residential buildings
• generic internal wall with wood or light steel gauge studs
• a flat & pitched roof for 1-2 story residential buildings
• a window in a generic brick cavity wall
• assigning a building element location and associated dimensioning
A student who has met the objectives of the semester will be able to:
• constructing a foundations for 1-2 story brick buildings
• constructing a cavity brick wall for 1-2 story brick buildings
• constructing a flat & pitched roof for 1-2 story brick buildings
• placing a door in a generic brick cavity wall and in an internal walls
- Type of instruction and
practical application of learning objectives
The teaching is based on the understanding that learning is most efficient if students are given the opportunity to work with real-life assignments from, or inspired by, companies in relevant industries.
When choosing a project, the possibility of incorporating the academic and professional challenges throughout the semester into the project must be taken into account.
The students are given the opportunity to be involved in the various project phases, from preliminary analysis to realisation of the project. In connection with the project work, the students are faced with real-life problems to be solved based on the given theory, and are to organise the work in such a way that deadlines can be met. The students are furthermore provided with the necessary qualifications to work independently, thereby preparing them to complete the final project as an individual assignment.
This working method allows the students to gain an understanding of how problems are identified and analysed, how solution models are set up, and how the right solution is adopted.
The learning outcomes of the exam are identical with the learning outcomes of the subject(s)/modul(es)Exam in one or more subjectsType of examCombined written and oral examinationIndividual exam or group examIndividual or group, 1-4 max participantsExam languagesEnglishType of evaluation7-point grading scaleExaminersExternal censure
In the subject Structure (Plot and Building) (EN) you will receive 28 hours of instruction, which corresponds to 37 lessons (1 lesson = 45 min.) and 41% of your total workload for the subject.
The teaching primarily consists of the following activities: internal lecturers, project work, group work.
The preparation primarily consists of the following activities: group work, project work, study group.
Read about KEAs Study Activity Model
*KEA can deviate from the number of hours if this is justified by special circumstances