Materials (Plot and Building) (EN)2019/2020
The 1st semester, the Materials topic will introduce you to a basic understanding of the materials being used for construction for 1-2 story residential buildings.
By meeting the objectives of this topic you will have gained knowledge and understanding of:
• the different origins, properties and production methods for concrete, wood, bricks and membranes
• materials needed for constructing a generic foundation
• materials needed for constructing a generic cavity brick wall
• materials needed for constructing a flat & pitched roof for 1-2 story residential buildings
• materials needed for constructing a generic internal wall with wood or light steel gauge studs
• materials needed associated with placing a window and door in a generic brick cavity wall
A student who has met the objectives of the semester will be able to:
• perform research, collect information of different materials and analyses, and compare them in relevant tools.
• qualify your decisions for choosing materials and how to validate them.
- Type of instruction and
practical application of learning objectives
The teaching is based on the understanding that learning is most efficient if students are given the opportunity to work with real-life assignments from, or inspired by, companies in relevant industries.
When choosing a project, the possibility of incorporating the academic and professional challenges throughout the semester into the project must be taken into account.
The students are given the opportunity to be involved in the various project phases, from preliminary analysis to realisation of the project. In connection with the project work, the students are faced with real-life problems to be solved based on the given theory, and are to organise the work in such a way that deadlines can be met. The students are furthermore provided with the necessary qualifications to work independently, thereby preparing them to complete the final project as an individual assignment.
This working method allows the students to gain an understanding of how problems are identified and analysed, how solution models are set up, and how the right solution is adopted.
The learning outcomes of the exam are identical with the learning outcomes of the subject(s)/modul(es)Exam in one or more subjectsType of examCombined written and oral examinationIndividual exam or group examIndividual or group, 1-4 max participantsExam languagesEnglishType of evaluation7-point grading scaleExaminersExternal censure
In the subject Materials (Plot and Building) (EN) you will receive 26 hours of instruction, which corresponds to 35 lessons (1 lesson = 45 min.) and 47% of your total workload for the subject.
The teaching primarily consists of the following activities: internal lecturers, project work, group work.
The preparation primarily consists of the following activities: group work, project work, study group.
Read about KEAs Study Activity Model
*KEA can deviate from the number of hours if this is justified by special circumstances