Structural Engineering (Business- and prefabrication) (EN)2021/2022
- Purpose and learning objectives
3rd semester will introduce you to:
• Scrutinize the concept structural design
• Work with a given load bearing system, estimating structural members by rules of thumb.
• Build a 3D structural analytical model generated by structural engineering BIM tools.
• Design loads, boundary conditions typologies and verify the consistency of the model.
By meeting the objectives of this topic you will gain knowledge about:
• The building performances of different members and connections.
• Estimate dimensions using tables and diagrams.
• Understanding the structural performances of different members, connections and supports.
A student who has met the objectives of the semester will have achieved knowledge about:
• Principles of transferring loads between structural members to a suitable load bearing subsoil.
• Building performances of load bearing elements
• Building performances of structural key junctions
• Layout drawings
• Key junctions
• Shop floor drawings
And obtained skills in:
• Drawing structural plans and sections useful to produce structural building’s elements.
• Producing reinforcement shop drawing documentation with rebar schedules for in situ and prefab concrete
• Necessary shop drawings for timber and steel
- Type of instruction
The teaching is based on the understanding that learning is most efficient if students are given the opportunity to work with real-life assignments from, or inspired by, companies in relevant industries.
When choosing a project, the possibility of incorporating the academic and professional challenges throughout the semester into the project must be taken into account.
The students are given the opportunity to be involved in the various project phases, from preliminary analysis to realisation of the project. In connection with the project work, the students are faced with real-life problems to be solved based on the given theory, and are to organise the work in such a way that deadlines can be met. The students are furthermore provided with the necessary qualifications to work independently, thereby preparing them to complete the final project as an individual assignment.
This working method allows the students to gain an understanding of how problems are identified and analysed, how solution models are set up, and how the right solution is adopted.
The learning outcomes of the exam are identical with the learning outcomes of the subject(s)/modul(es)Exam in one or more subjectsType of examCombined written and oral examinationIndividual exam or group examIndividual or group, 1-4 max participantsExam languagesEnglishType of evaluation7-point grading scaleExaminersInternal censure
In the subject Structural Engineering (Business- and prefabrication) (EN) you will receive 24 hours of instruction, which corresponds to 32 lessons (1 lesson = 45 min.) and 59% of your total workload for the subject.
The teaching primarily consists of the following activities: internal lecturers, project work, group work.
The preparation primarily consists of the following activities: group work, project work, study group.
Read about KEAs Study Activity Model
*KEA can deviate from the number of hours if this is justified by special circumstances