Architecture (Renovation) (EN)2021/2022
- Purpose and learning objectives
5th semester introduces you to building renovation and transformation.
By meeting the objectives of this topic you will have gained knowledge and understanding of:
• Cultural and architectonic qualities and characteristics of existing buildings.
• The significance of existing buildings and their position in a town planning and rural context
• Renovating existing building components generate new components and building parts in relation and harmony to the existing architecture, structure and materials.
By meeting the objectives of this topic you will be able to:
• Surveying of the exciting building, site and surroundings.
• Scrutinizing existing building and building structure.
• Show the existing, demolish and proposed conditions.
• Chose and incorporate the necessary functions and changes for the new use for the transformation of the building.
• Integration of the new functions, solutions and materials in the excision building in a architectural and harmonic way
• Conducting documented comparative property analysis of building components and materials, and their solutions.
• Use sustainable principles, solutions and materials in the renovation project.
- Type of instruction
The teaching is based on the understanding that learning is most efficient if students are given the opportunity to work with real-life assignments from, or inspired by, companies in relevant industries.
When choosing a project, the possibility of incorporating the academic and professional challenges throughout the semester into the project must be taken into account.
The students are given the opportunity to be involved in the various project phases, from preliminary analysis to realisation of the project. In connection with the project work, the students are faced with real-life problems to be solved based on the given theory, and are to organise the work in such a way that deadlines can be met. The students are furthermore provided with the necessary qualifications to work independently, thereby preparing them to complete the final project as an individual assignment.
This working method allows the students to gain an understanding of how problems are identified and analysed, how solution models are set up, and how the right solution is adopted.
The learning outcomes of the exam are identical with the learning outcomes of the subject(s)/modul(es)Exam in one or more subjectsType of examCombined written and oral examinationIndividual exam or group examIndividual or group, 1-4 max participantsExam languagesEnglishType of evaluation7-point grading scaleExaminersInternal censure
In the subject Architecture (Renovation) (EN) you will receive 24 hours of instruction, which corresponds to 32 lessons (1 lesson = 45 min.) and 44% of your total workload for the subject.
The teaching primarily consists of the following activities: internal lecturers, project work, group work.
The preparation primarily consists of the following activities: group work, project work, study group.
Read about KEAs Study Activity Model
*KEA can deviate from the number of hours if this is justified by special circumstances